Back to top  
Text size
Search local organisations

About the venue

  1. There are two popular play areas, miles of woodland walks, beautiful planting displays across the park, wonderful viewing areas, together with a central pond, waterfall and fountain.

    Beaumont Park is a great place to come for a visit, and is a wonderful place to come for a walk (although you will need stout shoes for some of the woodland trails).


    In 1879 Mr H F Beaumont offered the area known as Dungeon Wood to the Corporation of Huddersfield to allow for the creation of the town's first public park and recreation ground. 4 years later, in October 1883, Beaumont Park was opened.

    On opening, the park was extremely popular with people from across Huddersfield, but its visitor numbers dwindled after the opening of Greenhead Park, which was much easier to visit. This continues to this day, with the park being renowned as a source of peace and tranquillity.

    The park was laid out on a steep slope, with only a narrow area of land at the top of the park being set out formally, and the rest being mature woodland, and home to a great variety of wildlife.

    There was a main promenade, or Main Walk, together with an ornamental lake with an island, timber bandstand, ornamental bedding, and greenhouses. A great many steps and paths were built to allow people to wander through the woods and enjoy the feel of the wilderness. A gothic style building was built in the woods as a café, with a rooftop terrace from which people could enjoy the majestic views. The impressive park lodge was also built next to the main entrance.

    Over the years since opening there have been other changes, including the infilling of the lake, removal of bandstand, lakeside shelter and café. However there has been the development of a range of recreation facilities for young people, including a playground and basketball area.

    Recent developments:

    One of the most notable changes in the park for many years was completed in 2007: the restoration of the cascade and fountain. What a notable difference to sight and sound it is to have this water feature working again. Kirklees Council funded this project costing £138,000 with the Friends of Beaumont Park contributing £10,880.The landscaping around this area has been done by Kirklees.

    The historic lower gates have been repaired thanks to a grant of about £50,000 from Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund which is distributed by English Heritage. Kirklees Council used it to organise repairs to the stone walls and cast iron gates that form the atmospheric gateway to the park. Following six months of hard work to clear the area of overgrown vegetation the gates were officially opened by the Mayor of Kirklees, Jean Calvert, on 27 April 2008. Since 2008 a lot of vegetation has been cleared opening up views of the Holme Valley.

    Kirklees Council built a new adventure playground which was opened Easter 2010.

    In 2009 Friends of Beaumont Park and Kirklees Council applied to Heritage Lottery Fund for a grant to reinstate the bandstand and the Bandstand was officially opened by the Mayor of Kirklees on 5 June 2011.

    Beaumont Park was granted Green Flag status in July 2011.


Beaumont Park,
Beaumont Park Road,
Beaumont Park,

Opening times:




Show all events

Further information



Band stand-
Basketball net-
Children's play area-
Football goal posts-
Summer events-
Woodland walks-
Visitor CentreOpen Wednesday and Sunday 1pm to 3.30pm (4pm in summer)


Wheelchair access Wheelchair access

Share this page